MG-34 / XMG 308 Conversion (7.62 NATO)
1) Newly manufactured barrel with original WW2 barrel collar
Barrel Material: CrMoV - GBQ
Commonly called "CMV"
This durable material was imported from a specialty steel manufacturer in Germany and is well suited for machine guns. It is also certified to meet MIL-B-11595E specification for US military gun barrels.
Headspace is set to the 7.62 NATO spec. We can do the tighter .308 spec upon request.
Manganese Phosphate ("Parkerized") Metal Finish
-- These barrels are not chrome lined.
2) Reduced diameter and volume booster cone to provide more booster pressure. Use only if necessary to remedy weak cycle.
3) Front Feed Pawl that can be used for 8mm & 308. This pawl improves feeding by keeping pressure on the cartridge as its being pushed forward. It will allow the shorter 308 round to feed and improve feeding for 8mm.
4) Feed Tray
- Newly machined two caliber feed tray with removable spacer that can be used for both 8mm & 308/7.62x51 NATO.
- Material: 1018 CR Steel with FNC plating (Ferritic Nitro Carburizing)
- Includes Spacer and Screw for use with the shorter 7.62x51 / 308 cartridge.
- Similar to the very early pattern MG34 trays this does not have a hook to engage the top cover hinge.
- It fits tight to the receiver. A set screw is included that can be threaded through left side to lock it in place. This is usually not necessary given the snug tray-to-receiver fit.
- These trays are compatible with standard 8mm German and Yugo Gurttrommels (Basket Drums)
- A belt hanger tab is machined into the right side of the tray to hold the belt in place while loading.
This setup will enable the MG-34 to use WW2 belts or 308 MG1/MG3 belts.
The 308 belts tend to work better for feeding and stripping as they hold the larger case body less tight.